Information Technology (IT) has made changes to the default MyCourses course navigation experience and updated some MyCourses integrations. The providers of some of our related technologies have also released new features that you’ll want to review before you kick off your Summer 2023 courses.
New Default MyCourses Course Navigation Bar
Beginning May 10, 2023, all MyCourses courses that use the default course navigation bar will notice that the default navigation bar has been updated. The updates are based on faculty feedback requested in November 2022.
Materials & Media
While it is possible to make changes to the default course navigation bar, IT recommends that instructors refrain from making significant changes to the navigation bar for two reasons:
- All student-focused MyCourses support materials and content including screenshots are created using the default course navigation bar.
- Updates made to tools linked on the default navigation bar will not be reflected in custom navigation bars which means you may not always be linking to the most updated technologies.
Update to Zoom Integration
In addition to adding Zoom as a link on the default MyCourses course navigation bar, IT has also updated the link to point to a newer version of the Zoom integration. If you created Zoom meetings prior to May 15, 2023, you may need to recreate the meetings using the newly updated link.
The updated Zoom integration includes the following improvements:
- Assignment and Grade Services seamlessly syncs grades, progress, and comments from multiple sources into the MyCourses gradebook, greatly reducing faculty effort and the chance of errors.
- Deep Linking supports a natural and efficient user workflow between a learning object repository or content tool and MyCourses when developing courses and programs, again saving teachers’ time.
- Names and Role Provisioning Services securely share course roster/enrollment information with the requesting tool to enhance users’ experiences and provide administrators a basis for who has used the tool and importantly, who has not.
You can also continue to expect your Zoom meetings to display in the MyCourses calendar and all recordings to be available in Kaltura My Media.
Update to Perusall Integration
The MyCourses Perusall Integration will be updated on May 10, 2023. If you created any Perusall assignments/links for the summer semester prior to May 10, 2023, you may need to recreate them using the new integration.
The new integration improves how Perusall assignments are linked in MyCourses, improves the synchronization of grades between Perusall and MyCourses, and syncs the MyCourses classlist with Perusall when the integration is first added to the course.
Please reference these guides for assistance:
Update to Kaltura Media Player
On May 10, 2023, the Kaltura Media Player will be updated to create a more streamlined experience when embedding media into MyCourses tools such as Announcements, Content, etc.
New student resources
Information Technology (IT) will discontinue Poll Everywhere on July 27, 2023. Please read Poll Everywhere To Be Discontinued for details.
Qualtrics is the recommended and supported standard survey tool for surveys developed and/or administered by Georgia Gwinnett College (GGC). The use of third-party surveys for educational purposes may be evaluated on a case-by-case basis by Cabinet members.
GGC has a site license for Qualtrics that includes all GGC faculty, staff, and students. Faculty and staff should use Qualtrics over other survey tools to create a consistent survey experience that recipients will recognize as a legitimate GGC survey. Qualtrics offers an up-to-date look and feel as well as the features listed below.
Need to learn more?